[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Sat Oct 20 12:03:56 CEST 2012

On Saturday, October 20, 2012 12:12:39 Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> On 10/20/2012 11:28 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> >> And from that time on one doesn't need to remember what qt version or
> >> toolchain one has to use for a project, and just always type "qmake"
> >> from the project base directory.
> >
> > This is the right goal imo, but the wrong implementation.
>
> I'm not sure that we have the same goal -- or at least, I didn't
> understand from your explanation how to achieve it. What I want to be
> able to do is:
>
> # some steps to configure the projects as desired,
> # and from that time on be able to do
> $ cd src/projectA
> $ qmake               # uses qmake for qt5
> $ cd ../projectB
> $ qmake               # uses qmake for qt4
>
> Without any intermediate steps to select the version (which I might not
> remember).
>
> In order to be able to make this, you need to have a specialized "qmake"
> program which decides which qmake binary to run.

Indeed. I missed your goal of the tool figuring out whether to use the Qt 4 or
Qt 5 qmake *without* any intermediate steps (presumably you want that stored
in $PWD and to apply to all subdirectories when qmake -store is run?). I'm not
sure I like that idea, but I guess I could just not use the feature.

Regarding remembering, that's also a problem that most people have solved for
themselves I'm sure. My shell prompt looks like this:

 Qt( ) KDE ( )
 stephen at hal:~/dev/src$ qt 5
 Qt( 5 ) KDE ( )
 stephen at hal:~/dev/src$ qt 48
 Qt( 4.8 ) KDE ( )
 stephen at hal:~/dev/src$ qt 47
 Qt( 4.7 ) KDE ( )
 stephen at hal:~/dev/src$ qt undef
 Qt( ) KDE ( )
 stephen at hal:~/dev/src$ qt 48
 Qt( 4.8 ) KDE ( )
 stephen at hal:~/dev/src$ kde 47
 Qt( 4.8 ) KDE ( 4.7 )
 stephen at hal:~/dev/src$ qt 47
 Qt( 4.7 ) KDE ( 4.7 )
 stephen at hal:~/dev/src$

So I can't *not* remember. It's right there.

Anyway, even if the tool would 'store' the information about which qmake to
run, my point about that not being the complete environment still stands.

Maybe you can replace 'cd' with a wrapper script? :)

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer
** Qt Developer Conference: http://qtconference.kdab.com/ **