[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Oct 21 18:32:33 CEST 2012

On domingo, 21 de outubro de 2012 18.06.46, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > The packagers have to change the only Qt4 qmake's name/path and
>
> The whole point of this proposal used to be to make it not necessary for
> distros to patch Qt.
>
> This proposal as you state is requires everyone to patch Qt 4 even more
> (Right?).

Not "even more". Most distributions configure Qt 4 like so:

	--prefix=/usr/lib/qt4 --bindir=/usr/bin

And in addition symlink, copy or rename qmake to qmake-qt4.

So they already patch Qt. What I'm asking is that they patch *less* now:

 - configure Qt without --bindir
 - drop a new file in a known location (/etc/xdg/qmake/qt4.conf)
 - let the new qmake wrapper in /usr/bin/qmake

Also as consequences:
 - moc, uic, rcc, lconvert, lupdate will no longer be in /usr/bin
 - qdbus, qdbusviewer, designer, assistant, linguist, xmlpatterns,
   xmlpatternsvalidator will not be in /usr/bin and they can't be because the
   new applications from Qt 5 need to be there

> This is exactly why this point should have been part of the initial
> proposal:  If we don't care about distros patching Qt 4 anymore - only Qt 5
> - that is a particular goal, but I haven't seen it stated like that
> anywhere.
>
> I didn't know that was the goal in particular of this new proposal.

This new proposal requires adaptations to the Qt 4 packages, indeed.