[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Sun Oct 21 19:06:32 CEST 2012

On Sunday, October 21, 2012 09:32:33 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On domingo, 21 de outubro de 2012 18.06.46, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > > The packagers have to change the only Qt4 qmake's name/path and
> >
> > The whole point of this proposal used to be to make it not necessary for
> > distros to patch Qt.
> >
> > This proposal as you state is requires everyone to patch Qt 4 even more
> > (Right?).
>
> Not "even more". Most distributions configure Qt 4 like so:
>
> 	--prefix=/usr/lib/qt4 --bindir=/usr/bin
>
> And in addition symlink, copy or rename qmake to qmake-qt4.
>
> So they already patch Qt. What I'm asking is that they patch *less* now:
>
>  - configure Qt without --bindir
>  - drop a new file in a known location (/etc/xdg/qmake/qt4.conf)
>  - let the new qmake wrapper in /usr/bin/qmake

I see.

If such a wrapper exists, then:

 * It will need to be in a separate package from the Qt 4 and Qt 5 repos
 * It needs to be maintained and released on its own cycle as needed
 ** Supported features of conf files will no doubt need to be expanded
 * It needs to be compatibile with all Qt 4 and all future Qt versions forever
 * Distros will need to make both Qt 4 and Qt 5 packages depend on it
 ** Therefore it can't be implemented in Qt
 * It will never become obsolete

All correct? Did I miss anything?

> > This is exactly why this point should have been part of the initial
> > proposal:  If we don't care about distros patching Qt 4 anymore - only Qt
> > 5
> > - that is a particular goal, but I haven't seen it stated like that
> > anywhere.
> >
> > I didn't know that was the goal in particular of this new proposal.
>
> This new proposal requires adaptations to the Qt 4 packages, indeed.

Could you update the proposal to be more clear on that then? Preferably on a
wiki.

Preferably also list goals and non goals. For example Sune's concern that I
linked to before seems to have become a non-goal. Please make those things
explicit.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer