[Development] Alternative Proposal

Lincoln Ramsay a1291762 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 05:34:38 CEST 2012

On 20/10/12 07:35, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Really, I don't care what qmake5 is and where it points to, so long as:
>   a) it exists
>   b) it works
>   c) it's the official and documented way of creating Qt applications in Qt 5
>
> Any other names are under the customer's taste.

Surely then the various proposals are effectively in alignment? Filling
in the gaps, I see this:

/usr/bin/qmake5 <- documented - distros do not fuck with this
/usr/bin/qmake <- distros fuck with this so it may not be what you think
/something/bin/qmake <- and all the other qt bins
pkg-config -some query = /something/bin <- for finding the qt bins

And then my source build, plus Win/Mac builds look like:

bin/qmake5 <- documented
bin/qmake <- still here

I'm pretty sure qmake was the only contentious binary but any other
binary that needs to be installed into /usr/bin and conflicts with a qt
4 version can be treated the same way.

The qmake5 can be a symlink on Linux+Mac. On Windows... you get a copy.
Is that really so bad?

--
Link