[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Mon Oct 22 17:02:38 CEST 2012

22.10.2012, 18:49, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
> On segunda-feira, 22 de outubro de 2012 15.41.19, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>
>>  20.10.2012, 03:16, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
>>>   b) additionally, it accepts an extra argument (-select), which causes it
>>>  to select a different Qt version. For example:
>>>          qmake -qt=5 -project
>>>          qmake -qt=4.8.4 CONFIG+=debug
>>  I like this idea. Among other benefits, it makes it simpler to create
>>  3rd-party versions of tools, e.g. clang-based moc.
>
> I'm glad you like and I'm glad that it helps improving tools in the future!
>
> I just have no idea how one thing relates to the other. Can you share a little
> more about how this solves a problem that you were seeing?

It provides a sane way of coexisting for 2 moc executables for the same Qt version.
E.g. someone can register different moc executable for some Qt version and
it will work immediately with old makefiles.

Otherwise the only option is to overwrite existing moc with no fallback possibility.

It also makes possible to have one moc working for several Qt versions.

--
Regards,
Konstantin