[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Oct 22 20:33:47 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 22 de outubro de 2012 11.19.17, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Except if you want the .so files in /usr/lib co-installable with the Qt 4
> ones.  Yeah, we could put them in /usr/lib/qt5/lib, but that sounds rather
> convoluted to me. It also introduces multiarch issues, since then we need
> one qmake per arch, instead of the solution we have now.

Looks like I'm contradicting myself here.

Multiarch builds will have multiple qmake anyway (installed in the libexec),
since they refer to different $libdir/qt5/mkspecs, as those contain arch-
specific data (qconfig.pri, qmodule.pri, etc.). Also, third-party buildsystems
need to call this wrapper anyway to find the tools in libexec, so they might as
well get the libdir from it too.

Question to distros: what's the proper way to solve the "config tool" multiarch
problem? TBH, this looks like an unsolved problem:

 $ i386 pkg-config --cflags dbus-1
 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include
 $ i386 mysql_config --libs
 -L/usr/lib64/mysql -lmysqlclient -lpthread -lz -lm -lrt -lssl -lcrypto -ldl

I want to make the tool detect it was run under a modified arch.