[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Wed Oct 24 00:09:34 CEST 2012

Thiago Macieira schreef op ma 22-10-2012 om 11:33 [-0700]:
> Question to distros: what's the proper way to solve the "config tool" multiarch
> problem? TBH, this looks like an unsolved problem:
>
>  $ i386 pkg-config --cflags dbus-1
>  -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include
>  $ i386 mysql_config --libs
>  -L/usr/lib64/mysql -lmysqlclient -lpthread -lz -lm -lrt -lssl -lcrypto -ldl
>
> I want to make the tool detect it was run under a modified arch.

There isn't really a proper way to solve these issues.

For the pkg-config case you can set the environment variable
PKG_CONFIG_PATH so it points to the pkgconfig folder of the desired
architecture (for example: /usr/lib/pkgconfig).

For the mysql case: the MySQL files in Fedora are basically divided over
a package containing just the libraries and a package containing the
server binaries and mysql_config. The i386 and x86_64 versions of the
package containing the libraries can be co-installed at the same time.
The other package (containing mysql_config) can only be installed for
one architecture at the same time.

Kind regards,

Erik van Pienbroek
Fedora MinGW SIG