[Development] Heads up for Windows devs: ANGLE landing soon

Jason Barron jason.barron at outlook.com
Mon Oct 29 11:02:31 CET 2012

> From: thiago.macieira at intel.com> To: jason.barron at outlook.com
> Subject: Re: [Development] Heads up for Windows devs: ANGLE landing soon
> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 11:53:52 -0700
>
> On terça-feira, 23 de outubro de 2012 08.26.51, Jason Barron wrote:
> > https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,37290
> >
> > I'm working on updating the installation and deployment docs as well as
> > writing a blog post to give some more details.
>
> Is the procedure complete now?
>
> I configured Qt on Windows with:
> -confirm-license -opensource -Ic:/openssl-win32/include -Lc:/openssl-win32/lib
>
> After configure finishes, the qtbase/include dir contains only QtCore. The other
> ones seem to appear during the build process.

Correct, QtCore is needed for bootstrapping so it's synced earlier.

> The build proceeds then normally (using jom, from the top dir), until it hits
> this problem:
>
> (set "PATH=C:\Qt\qt5\qtbase\src\angle\src\..\..\..\..\gnuwin32\bin;
> %PATH%") && win_flex --noline --nounistd --outfile=Tokenizer.cpp C:
> \Qt\qt5\qtbase\src\3rdparty\angle\src\compiler\preprocessor\new\Tokenizer.l
> 'win_flex' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> What's win_flex and how is it different from flex? Why can't we use flex, which
> comes with msysgit, along with bison? It seems to work here.

win_flex is included in 'qt5/gnuwin32'. Simon recommended that I use this. See commit 34cf3942 in qt5.

> And why can't we commit the generated file to Gerrit, like we do for qlalr-
> generated files? (corelib/xml/qxmlstream.g)

The bison generated output has a GPLv2 header and adding this could raise alarms in certain code scanners that do license checks on Qt. The license for bison has an exception as long as the generated code is actually used in a parser (which this is) so this is safe from that perspective, but we wanted to avoid checking the generated file in.
> After generating that file and glslang_lex manually with flex instead of
> win_flex, the build proceeded just fine.
/me points finger at Simon and runs away

Regards,Jason