[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Sep 8 20:37:09 CEST 2012

On Saturday 08 September 2012 Sep, Ariel Molina wrote:
> > Feel free to scratch the code if the itch is bugging you!
> This is the point, in a couple of years, few people are being
> scraching *that* code, that's the reason of the state of the code.
> Many users will never find the bug, 'cause the do not own, or share a
> computer with a Wacom tablet. So this bug seems rare, but as Quick
> evolves it will become common.
>
> Anyway, I want to bring back attention that this bug affects even Qt
> development tools, i can reproduce it in at least 40 computers where
> the sole presence of the Wacom drivers makes QtC and most apps almost
> unusable due to the "driver" errors and general slugginesh.

And I still don't understand you... This is what I gathered from this thread:

1. Qt 4's wacom tablet on Windows gives you trouble, because you have artists who use a wacom puck in a non-standard mode.
2. Qt 5 doesn't at the moment actually have any tablet support on Windows and OSX, and limited support on Linux.
3. So, you propose to remove tablet support in Qt 5.

That combination of items just doesn't make sense to me.

> And bringing back the proposed solutions. Please dont say, "go on and
> fix it", I wont, 'cause I don't know how, but mainly I do not care
> about Wacom (as a high % of people),

Well, my problem is that I care a lot about Wacom support, but my goal in life is to create a painting application that makes artists happy and productive, for which reason I work with Qt, since otherwise I would have to spend my spare time on library and framework development...

> I care about Qt and Quick general
> and if Wacom issues are this severe and affect the whole GUI/Quick
> modules my guess is that at least 1) or 2) are not that developer-time
> consuming.
>
> 1) Setup a flag similar to WA_AcceptTouchEvents

Well, pretty obviously, that solution should be fine and preferable. That way, any application can choose what to do. But then... Isn't the the problem that in Qt4, the puck sends mouse events in the wrong way?

> 2) Create a commandline  --enable-wacom
> 3) Remove Wacom altogether
>
> OTOH I have few resources to offer more that the bug reporting and
> testing on the 40+ workstations i have.

I've also discussed this issue with a developer who volunteers to work on Wacom support for Qt5 but he needs sponsorship.

--
Boudewijn Rempt