[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Ariel Molina R. ariel at edis.mx
Sun Sep 9 04:25:21 CEST 2012

> 1. Qt 4's wacom tablet on Windows gives you trouble, because you have artists who use a wacom puck in a non-standard mode.
No, i have developers working some days on Qt, Quick, using QtC these
days wacoms are kept on a locker, they dont even know how to use them
or care about. *Other* days of the week i have designers, most of them
use Wacoms, they use them for Photoshop and their designers' stuffs
(not Qt, nor QtC). Everytime a developer needs to use one of those
workstations the driver needs to be removed or QtC wont work smoothly,
everytime a designer uses it, she goes and installs the driver.
Sometimes this is done more than once a day. OTOH designers are now
starting to learn to code in QML, imagine installing/uninstalling the
driver like 20 times just for switching between Photoshop<->QtCreator.

As Qt team suggests, Quick is the future, so more and more artists
will appear and scenarios like mine will become common.

> 2. Qt 5 doesn't at the moment actually have any tablet support on Windows and OSX, and limited support on Linux.
As i understand, this is the case. Furthermore, it is known to many
people that this support breaks a lot. Only in OSX is kind of stable.

> 3. So, you propose to remove tablet support in Qt 5.
I proposed on the IRC channel two options and a third one appeared:
1) Qt::WA_AcceptWacom flag, to be used *explicitly* to get wacom events
2) --enable-wacom on the commandline, same idea
3) While talking to Thiago, he proposed to directly drop that
unhealthy wacom code

I support "3"  (but hey, i know im nobody)  and I know 1,2 would work
(i proposed them). The logic to remove the code is: it breaks a lot,
it's hacky, it bites you even when not having a wacom plugged, really
none truly cares that much and it's now affecting the very core tools
of Qt (QtCreator and the puppet) so disable/remove it, then *IF*
someone really cares, they (expecting to be *a bunch* of people) will
appear and fix the code. Thiago said something like: none will appear
to do that job, so remove it. I was told to make the request in the
mailing list, so I did 'cause this bug affects me quite roughly (and
as I said it will afect more and more people as time passes and Quick
becomes common).

> That combination of items just doesn't make sense to me.
Your scenario might differ, but try this: a clean Win7 HP or Pro
install, get any of the latest Intuos4 driver, Qt 4.8.x (I used the
SDK) and QtC 2.5.x, create a new QtQuick UI, just the simple "Hello
World" QtC creates for you. Switch back and forth a few times, bonus
points if you do it fast. I promise you will begin to dislike wacom
and begin to wonder why this buggy code that helps <1% of Qt Apps has
the potential to affect the other >99%. Right know now I need to
include a warning note: "This software will break if you install wacom
drivers for a random Wacom, expensive Wacoms might not break this sw,
you're on your own."

Ariel