[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Sep 9 11:19:41 CEST 2012

On domingo, 9 de setembro de 2012 10.55.10, Frank Hemer wrote:
> > Note that this also applies for Qt 4.8. If the support is broken there and
> > causing issues like Ariel is describing, it's definitely a P1 that needs
> > fixing. If we can't muster the knowledge of how to fix it properly, we
> > should disable.
> >
> > Now, it appears that in Qt 5, the support is already non-existent. So
> > there's nothing we need to do now.
>
> You cannot be serious about that. Its not only that some commercial products
> depend on wacom support, but with a growing qml usage, more and more
> applications may need it. Its a definite showstopper for one of my products
> forcing me to stick with qt4 for the time being.

What were you referring to when you said "you cannot be serious about that"?

If you meant my proposal to disable in Qt 4, then let me explain: the bugs
that Ariel is reporting are definitely P1. From past history, we know that
Wacom support breaks every other release. We need to do something about it.
Preferably, it should be fixing it once and for all. The other extreme is to
disable it completely.

A middle-ground is to figure out what is different from Ariel's scenario, maybe
blacklisting some driver versions or device versions or something.

If you meant that the Qt 5 support is non-existent, I was serious. It's a fact
and I wasn't the one who reported it. All of the input method, pointer and
window management systems were rewritten for Qt 5 and, apparently, Wacom
support on Windows wasn't re-added yet.

> I'm a commercial license owner (hello digia, whats your standpoint?), but my
> resources are limited so I cannot support with active contribution. But
> anyway - simply stating that the feature is not supported (it used to be
> supported in the qt4 days and it was never mentioned to be deprecated or
> alike) is imho the very wrong direction.

The feature doesn't *exist*. We can't support code that isn't there.

We need someone to write it again. Someone who understands that code.
Hopefully, it should be properly integrated into the QPA input system so that
it doesn't break as often as the Qt 4 solution did.