[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Frank Hemer frank at hemer.org
Sun Sep 9 11:39:36 CEST 2012

On Sunday 09 September 2012 11:19:41 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On domingo, 9 de setembro de 2012 10.55.10, Frank Hemer wrote:
> > > Note that this also applies for Qt 4.8. If the support is broken there
> > > and
> > > causing issues like Ariel is describing, it's definitely a P1 that needs
> > > fixing. If we can't muster the knowledge of how to fix it properly, we
> > > should disable.
> > >
> > > Now, it appears that in Qt 5, the support is already non-existent. So
> > > there's nothing we need to do now.
> >
> > You cannot be serious about that. Its not only that some commercial
> > products depend on wacom support, but with a growing qml usage, more and
> > more applications may need it. Its a definite showstopper for one of my
> > products forcing me to stick with qt4 for the time being.
>
> What were you referring to when you said "you cannot be serious about that"?

I refer to the very last part of your statement, citing: 'So there's nothing
we need to do now.'

> If you meant my proposal to disable in Qt 4, then let me explain: the bugs
> that Ariel is reporting are definitely P1. From past history, we know that
> Wacom support breaks every other release. We need to do something about it.
> Preferably, it should be fixing it once and for all. The other extreme is to
> disable it completely.
>
> A middle-ground is to figure out what is different from Ariel's scenario,
> maybe blacklisting some driver versions or device versions or something.
>
> If you meant that the Qt 5 support is non-existent, I was serious. It's a
> fact and I wasn't the one who reported it. All of the input method, pointer
> and window management systems were rewritten for Qt 5 and, apparently,
> Wacom support on Windows wasn't re-added yet.

I fully understood.
But its a showstopper for porting to qt5. I actually expected some more people
to step up ... up to now I didn't realize that wacom support has been removed
thus I expect to be not the only one who didn't yet realize.

> > I'm a commercial license owner (hello digia, whats your standpoint?), but
> > my resources are limited so I cannot support with active contribution.
> > But anyway - simply stating that the feature is not supported (it used to
> > be supported in the qt4 days and it was never mentioned to be deprecated
> > or alike) is imho the very wrong direction.
>
> The feature doesn't *exist*. We can't support code that isn't there.
>
> We need someone to write it again. Someone who understands that code.
> Hopefully, it should be properly integrated into the QPA input system so
> that it doesn't break as often as the Qt 4 solution did.

No doubt about that.

Still please understand that I feel this issue might be of more importance
than it appears right now - once again referring to the increasing importance
of tablets and alike.

Frank