[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Sep 9 13:25:29 CEST 2012

On Sunday 09 September 2012 Sep, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On domingo, 9 de setembro de 2012 11.46.31, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > Preferably, it should be fixing it once and for all.
> >
> > Well, given that Digia actually seems to have a patch for the bug in
> > question, I'd say that the choice is easy. Use the bug fix. If Qt goes
> > down the way of "it's better to break existing applications than to allow
> > in a patch not everybody likes", then Qt will lose its reputation for
> > dependability completely.
>
> It's not a bugfix, it's a hack. A proper fix is required.
>
> > > The other extreme is to
> > > disable it completely.
> >
> > Which is of course even more unacceptable. Breaking applications by
> > removing a feature that's been around for many years is even worse.
>
> I'm sorry, I disagree. On one end of the spectrum, we have applications that
> are broken. On the other end, we'll break some others.

The solution for a bug can never be to wilfully break existing applications! What can I as an application developer depend on if that's deemed acceptable? "Yeah, we had a feature, and yeah, people depend on it, but we don't give a damn." --- that's the message. And no matter how you dress it up with inevitability and force majeure and whatever, that doesn't change the message that Qt cannot be depended upon by application developers.

--
Boudewijn Rempt