[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Sep 10 15:45:06 CEST 2012

On Monday 10 September 2012 Sep, Shaw Andy wrote:
> > On domingo, 9 de setembro de 2012 13.25.29, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > The solution for a bug can never be to wilfully break existing applications!
> > > What can I as an application developer depend on if that's deemed
> > > acceptable? "Yeah, we had a feature, and yeah, people depend on it, but
> > we
> > > don't give a damn." --- that's the message. And no matter how you dress it
> > > up with inevitability and force majeure and whatever, that doesn't change
> > > the message that Qt cannot be depended upon by application developers.
> >
> > If it will make you sleep better at night, then it's a bug.
> >
> > A bug means that it's unintentional and we'll correct the situation in a
> > future release. So you can depend on Qt: we will make things work and keep
> > them working.
> >
> > We just can't promise when that will be. And except when they break.
>
> I skimmed through the thread as I was away for a few days and missed this unfold so I wanted to throw in my thoughts on the subject as it relates to something I have done in the past.
>
> To clarify, I did the patch that everyone is referring to, I actually did it in my Nokia days when I had access to the tablet and passed it on to someone after I joined Digia.  It is a hack because I had to try and get around the mouse position problem, I tried then to figure out how to do it properly so it could be submitted at the time but was unable to do so.  Since I guess the tablet is going to end up back in Digia hands (assuming someone knows where it is in the Oslo office) I am willing to look at this again but would prefer someone who could help on this side of things as my knowledge of the tablet side is limited at best and I couldn't find out where the information needed was actually being stored.  If I could get that information I think I could solve the rest.  Again assuming the tablet is still around and usable somewhere :)

That would be very cool :-).

By the way, I visited IBC in Amsterdam today and chatted with the people at the Foundry stand. Nuke and Mari are Python-Qt apps that are used all over the film industry. They also depend on Wacom support, and they told me Autodesk does depend on it for Maya as well. I wonder if those companies have commercial licenses with Digia... I mean, there clearly are more important users of Wacom support in Qt than me with Krita.

--
Boudewijn Rempt