[Development] Removing Wacom support in Qt5

Shaw Andy Andy.Shaw at digia.com
Mon Sep 10 12:58:01 CEST 2012

> On domingo, 9 de setembro de 2012 13.25.29, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > The solution for a bug can never be to wilfully break existing applications!
> > What can I as an application developer depend on if that's deemed
> > acceptable? "Yeah, we had a feature, and yeah, people depend on it, but
> we
> > don't give a damn." --- that's the message. And no matter how you dress it
> > up with inevitability and force majeure and whatever, that doesn't change
> > the message that Qt cannot be depended upon by application developers.
>
> If it will make you sleep better at night, then it's a bug.
>
> A bug means that it's unintentional and we'll correct the situation in a
> future release. So you can depend on Qt: we will make things work and keep
> them working.
>
> We just can't promise when that will be. And except when they break.

I skimmed through the thread as I was away for a few days and missed this unfold so I wanted to throw in my thoughts on the subject as it relates to something I have done in the past.

To clarify, I did the patch that everyone is referring to, I actually did it in my Nokia days when I had access to the tablet and passed it on to someone after I joined Digia.  It is a hack because I had to try and get around the mouse position problem, I tried then to figure out how to do it properly so it could be submitted at the time but was unable to do so.  Since I guess the tablet is going to end up back in Digia hands (assuming someone knows where it is in the Oslo office) I am willing to look at this again but would prefer someone who could help on this side of things as my knowledge of the tablet side is limited at best and I couldn't find out where the information needed was actually being stored.  If I could get that information I think I could solve the rest.  Again assuming the tablet is still around and usable somewhere :)

Andy