[Development] Not stripping our binaries by default

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com
Fri Sep 14 18:27:31 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 04:31:52PM +0200, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 14 de setembro de 2012 16.25.46, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > I made it default to no-stripping.
> >
> > which i don't understand ...
>
> Simon's email:
>
> "I think that our default configure and make rules should be tailored towards
> developers deliberately building Qt from source, so IMHO it should not strip
> by default. When you build Qt from source I'm not sure you care about the
> binary size (you're installing on your local drive) and you might appreciate
> getting some useful backtraces when they happen."

well, i disagree.
if you want backtraces, not stripping some minor symbol tables doesn't
buy you much; you need to force proper debug info on anyway.
i also don't think that "end users" never build qt themselves. all kinds
of non-desktop builds require manual building, and commercial users
regularly customize their builds. think a bit outside the linux distro
box, please.

and, fwiw, i couldn't care less for the unsubstantiated complaints of
packagers. they are the *last* consumers to think about - they can be
expected to understand their job, and be willing to spend a few minutes
on a package's nuances. it's not rocket science.