[Development] Not stripping our binaries by default

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Sep 15 01:00:33 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 14 de setembro de 2012 18.27.31, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> well, i disagree.
> if you want backtraces, not stripping some minor symbol tables doesn't
> buy you much; you need to force proper debug info on anyway.
> i also don't think that "end users" never build qt themselves. all kinds
> of non-desktop builds require manual building, and commercial users
> regularly customize their builds. think a bit outside the linux distro
> box, please.

I want to get a minimal backtrace from a crashing application in a production
setting. Since we use hidden visibility by default in most of our classes (the
internal ones), without debug symbols those show up only as ??.

I don't want to do debugging. I don't even need line numbers. I just want to
have an idea where things are going.

> and, fwiw, i couldn't care less for the unsubstantiated complaints of
> packagers. they are the *last* consumers to think about - they can be
> expected to understand their job, and be willing to spend a few minutes
> on a package's nuances. it's not rocket science.

I disagree and I think we ought to think more about them. Especially since,
without my fix, they had to patch Qt.