[Development] Beta 2 release

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Thu Sep 20 14:45:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

now that the dust around the acquisition is starting to settle a bit it's time to get back on track towards 5.0 and especially towards the next beta.

As I've outlined in my last blog (which is unfortunately unavailable for the moment…), I'd like to include Qt Creator into the 2nd beta, so that we get close to what before has been known as an SDK release. For that Sergio has now created a qtsdk meta repository (ssh://codereview.qt-project.org:29418/qtsdk/qtsdk.git), that contains only the Qt Essentials, Qt Creator and the build dependencies for creator.

We are aiming at using that qtsdk repository as our basis for the beta 2 release. The goal is that Qt Creator also uses Qt 5 here, both to show that Qt 5 works, and to give us better testing possibilities for the frameworks.

Other add-ons (e.g. Qt SVG, Qt 3D, …) should be added to this base SDK in a modular fashion, selectable at install time. However this might partially only happen after beta 2.

To give us a bit more structure for the second beta, I'd like to nominate Sinan Tanilkan as the release manager for Qt 5. He will work on pulling the whole release together, keeping an overview over our bug status, making sure packages are being created and tested and ensuring comms are in place for the releases.

Sinan will get a release team organised that helps with taking care of these different aspects. Coordination and further communication will happen on the releasing mailing list and the #qt-releases IRC channel, so please subscribe there if you have an interest in helping with the release process itself.

The plan currently is to get packages that include Creator created within the next two weeks. After that we'll start package testing and release the Beta 2 as soon as possible afterwards.

To be able to understand the quality of the beta better, we will need some help from everybody. Have a look at the Qt 5 bug statistics at  https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=11712 . As you can see we currently have very few Blockers (P1) and only some P1's. But there are close to 400 bugs in there that aren't yet evaluated. It would be good if all Maintainers and Approvers could help and do their share to evaluate these bugs, so that we better know what remains to be done for the second beta. Once that's done, further work should focus around fixing the high priority bugs found.

Cheers,
Lars