[Development] Greetings from RIM and from Qt on BlackBerry 10

Vladimir Minenko vminenko at rim.com
Thu Sep 20 19:21:38 CEST 2012

Hello all,

I now finally took some time to drop this message to all who work on Qt. There are a few reasons why not any earlier and why now.

First of all, congratulations to Qt with the new home! I am sure, Digia will be a very good home with many exciting possibilities!

Also congratulation with 4.8.3! Even though there was a bump for RIM in the way how it was released (other story), Qt 4.8.3 is big news for in another sense.

Qt 4.8.3 is going to be the first functional release of Qt on BlackBerry 10. We are currently working on a new public beta release of BlackBerry 10 which is in preparation for BlackBerry Jam Americas next week. Yes, it was possible to load Qt apps on Playbook, but Qt was not integrated in the Playbook device firmware and apps are not accepted in the AppWorld (for now).

This is different with BlackBerry 10. Qt is there and you can use it for apps development. I certainly count Qt Quick here too, btw. All this will be very beneficial for Qt running in QNX in general, which is the base of BlackBerry 10. Quite some people worked very hard to make it happen... This is one of the reasons, why it was so silent after our talks on Qt Contributor Summit in Berlin this summer. And writing this, I would like to mention folks from KDAB. They did a master job for Qt on BlackBerry 10 and QNX!

Another interesting fact to mention is that RIM now has a dedicated Qt team instead of various folks scattered across the company and taking care of Qt on part-time basis. Qt is much too important for BlackBerry 10 and needs a real team. It is really "real" now, since from the beginning of September we are 5 persons with quite some open positions.

There are still more than many things to do. Hm, as usually... One of the most important areas is to get a proper home for Qt on RIM's developer pages in addition to our wiki on Qt-Project.org (http://qt-project.org/wiki/BlackBerry) and the new group http://qt-project.org/groups/qt-blackberry-and-qnx .

Enough stories, back to work!

Have a nice evening/day/morning! :-)

Cheers!

--