[Development] Documentation and Modularization

Martin Smith Martin.Smith at digia.com
Mon Sep 24 11:31:06 CEST 2012

>I'm not sure if we want to go down this route (doxygen), but it seems an option to me.

We have discussed it many times. The management decision has always been to proceed with qdoc. I don't feel strongly either way, but if I'm asked I would say we should stay with qdoc and just move qdoc gradually toward doxygen.

The qdoc index file was originally meant to allow a customer to link his documentation to the Qt documentation, so we generated the Qt documentation with qdoc, and as a byproduct, qdoc produced qt.index, which is then loaded with the customers sourses when qdoc generates the customer's documentation.

So, functionally, qt.index is like a doxygen tag file, but I don't like the implementation, so I think we should add the doxygen tag file functionality to qdoc. qdoc already has something called a tag file, but this is for a different purpose. I think we might not need it anymore.

Earlier I proposed getting qdoc to output a "target" file, which I suppose is the same as the doxygen tag file.

martin