[Development] Co-installation & library naming rules

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Sep 24 11:40:51 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 24 de setembro de 2012 11.30.47, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> On Sunday, September 23, 2012 18:46:21 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Probably. But we've been saying for 7 years that pkg-config is the
> > official
> > way of finding Qt. CMake's use of qmake is non-standard.
>
> CMake uses qmake for Qt 4. Not for Qt 5, which is what we're talking about
> here, so it's still irrelevant.

I was talking about Qt 4. When the discussion came some 5 years ago when we
were doing the CMake scripts for finding Qt 4 in KDE, the Qt devs made it clear
that pkg-config is the official and recommended way of finding Qt. Yet CMake does
not use the official way, ostensibly because it doesn't work on Windows.

For Qt 5, we can say that cmake is using an officially-supported method, which
are the files that Qt itself installs.

> > > I'm sure they're all on the kde-packager mailing list though, so you
> > > might
> > > even be able to reach them all in one go. That's a private list, so
> > > you'd
> > > have to ask them to reply/discuss here.
> >
> > Then that's off.
>
> That's a very bad attitude to have.

[...]
> You need to reach out if you want to re-write the book.

I am reaching out, but I don't want to subscribe to an unrelated mailing list
to discuss Qt, especially not an open one. This discussion belongs here. The
only reason for thinking of the releasing mailing list was that I expected
packagers to be there in the first place.

I'll happily post a "call for discussion" where it needs to be and contact
some of the people I know directly, but the discussion remains here.

> > If they want to package Qt, they come to us. I've called
> > for packagers to join this list and/or the releasing mailing list more
> > than
> > once.
>
> These lists are too noisy for anyone who is not developing Qt itself.
>
> I'd really prefer Qt project to be known for reaching out instead of being
> known for lots of talk on development@, not reaching out ever, and expecting
> everyone to come here. That is just a very non-collaborative attitude.

I'll also send the proposal email and summarise the discussion back into the
ML. But people who choose to do that through me must understand that,
intentionally or not, their responses and concerns will be brought to the ML
under my own filter. And this ML makes the final decision.

It's really in their best interest to be here.