[Development] Un-messifying Qt Quick

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Sep 24 15:07:06 CEST 2012

[Related to the co-installation and hierarchy discussions]

Through a series of well-intentioned decisions, we ended up having:

			Qt Quick 1 (Qt4)	Qt Quick 1 (Qt 5)	Qt Quick 2
QT +=		declarative			quick1				quick
library		libQtDeclarative	libQtQuick1			libQtQuick
include		QtDeclarative/		QtQuick1/			QtQuick
			QDeclarativeXxx		QDeclarativeXxx		QQuickXxx
import		$prefix/imports		$prefix/imports		$prefix/imports
			QtQuick 1.[01]		QtQuick 1.[01]		QtQuick 2.0
Git repo	qt					qtquick1			qtdeclarative

The Git repository is a completely internal implementation detail and
irrelevant to our users. Therefore, we don't need to change anything.

The library name is often not used directly, but I'd like to include it in the
discussion.

All the rest of the settings are user-visible and any change is a source-
incompatible change. I'd like to propose very simply that:

	Qt Quick 1 has the same source settings in both Qt 4 and Qt 5

Concretely:
 1) rename the library back to libQtDeclarative
    this also renames the pkg-config file back to QtDeclarative.pc
    [if my other proposal is accepted, then these files will get a "5"]
 2) rename the include dir back to QtDeclarative/
 3) rename the qmake module file back to qt_declarative.pri (so we get
    QT += declarative back)

In addition, my hierarchy proposal also proposes splitting the import dirs,
but let's continue that discussion there.