[Development] Code coverage statistics online

Rohan McGovern rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Thu Sep 27 09:28:38 CEST 2012

Harri Porten said:
> Hi!
>
> We started publishing code coverage results of Qt 5 unit test runs as
> produced by our tool Squish Coco:
>
>    http://download.froglogic.com/public/qt5-squishcoco-report/ (results)
>    http://download.froglogic.com/public/effectively-testing-qt5-using-squishcoco/ (setup and example)
>
> >From that link you can browse to the coverage data of libraries, functions
> and source files.
>
> We chose a decision/coverage analysis method. In comparison to line
> coverage this is a bit harder to grasp and gives different numbers but for
> a developer it's the more useful. I plan to follow up with a study of a
> small number of exemplaric cases accompanied with suggested patches to
> tests and maybe code. And to make things easier to understand in the
> mostly-static HTML output we'll also improve the coloring of instrumented
> branches soon.
>
> Provided that the cron job works the results will be updated daily. If
> anyone has an idea how this could be integrated more tightly with the
> automated Qt project test results please let us know. Caroline Chao was
> already using a predecessor of the tool for the same purpose within
> the Nokia build infrastructure btw.
>
> Feedback of any kind is welcome.

Overall the coverage was less than I expected, so I started reading the
source files list starting from lowest coverage and found some surprising
results, e.g. qmimedata.cpp 0% coverage, qsettings.cpp nearly 0%
coverage although I know there are tests for these.

In the execution list at
http://download.froglogic.com/public/qt5-squishcoco-report/libQtCore.so.5.0.0.html
indeed it seems that tst_QSettings, tst_QMimeData are missing from the
list :(  I suppose there are others missing too. Any idea what might
have caused them to be excluded from the results?