[Development] Co-installation & library naming rules

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Fri Sep 28 13:39:56 CEST 2012

On Friday, September 28, 2012 13:25:42 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I've already contacted several downstreams: Sune for Debian, Will for
> OpenSUSE, Raphael for FreeBSD; the Fedora people were the originators of the
> bug report and have posted here.
>
> All have given their +1 to the proposal.

Thanks for doing that.

I'm very surprised that they didn't email here about it and join the
*discussion*. This should involve more than a +1 imo but an actual discussion.

> Sune also said that he would rather we *keep* the number at the end of the
> soname. As to whether we should reset to 1 or keep it at 5, Lars says he
> would rather we keep at 5, so no one gets ideas about making a
> binary-incompatible Qt 5 release.
>
> The only pending question is whether it should be libQt5Core or libQtCore5.
> To avoid libQtQuick5 (for Qt Quick 2) and libQtV85, I'd rather put the
> number next to Qt.

That still leaves us with Qt53D. But I prefer that too as it's consistent with
the cmake files.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer