[Development] Co-installation & library naming rules

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Fri Sep 28 14:06:43 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-28, Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> wrote:
> On Friday, September 28, 2012 13:25:42 Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> I've already contacted several downstreams: Sune for Debian, Will for
>> OpenSUSE, Raphael for FreeBSD; the Fedora people were the originators of the
>> bug report and have posted here.
>>
>> All have given their +1 to the proposal.
>
> Thanks for doing that.
>
> I'm very surprised that they didn't email here about it and join the
> *discussion*. This should involve more than a +1 imo but an actual discussion.

I have tried contributing, but the gmane setup of this list was wrong,
and hopefully it works now :)

>> Sune also said that he would rather we *keep* the number at the end of the
>> soname. As to whether we should reset to 1 or keep it at 5, Lars says he
>> would rather we keep at 5, so no one gets ideas about making a
>> binary-incompatible Qt 5 release.

yep. Most of debian's tools (not only the debian qt/kde team's tools)
relies on libraries being on libfoo.so.X form.
And I also agree with Lars.

I don't have any opinion on if we want to make it libQt5Stuff or
libQtStuff5.

/Sune
 - partially also writing this email as a test to see if gmane now works