[Development] Urgent gerrit change for 5.1: closing the Qt Quick feature gap on the desktop

Tvete Paul Paul.Tvete at digia.com
Mon Apr 1 15:22:57 CEST 2013

I have spoken to Lars, and we have identified a significant feature
missing from Qt Quick. Lars agrees that this needs to be handled
immediately.  Unfortunately, Easter vacation in Norway has made it
difficult to communicate this earlier.

We realize that there is a feature freeze, but it has been decided
that this is more important. This matter has already been decided, so
we ask you to be constructive in your comments.

The missing feature, which was regrettably not picked up during the
Components API review, has been part of Qt from the very beginning. To
underline its importance, consider that it was added to Qt before
fonts and text rendering.  I have therefore submitted the new
component to gerrit, and hope the CI system will not cause
too many problems. https://codereview.qt-project.org/52659

I am sure you will all realize, once you get over your immediate
emotional reaction, why we decided to do this, and that making sure
that Qt Quick is relevant also on the desktop is more important than
mindlessly sticking to the letter of the submit policy. After all, the
policies are there to improve the quality of Qt - not the other way
around.

I append a screenshot, and the source code of the new Qt Quick tutorial,
showcasing LCDNumber and illustrating how it enables us to finally
capture the full Qt Desktop experience using the power of Qt
Quick.

- Paul Olav Tvete
Principal Software Engineer, Digia

on behalf of Lars Knoll,
Chief Maintainer of the Qt Project and CTO of Digia