[Development] Taking the new download system into production

Turunen Tuukka Tuukka.Turunen at digia.com
Fri Apr 5 16:01:03 CEST 2013

Hi,

We have already ten mirrors from three continents active for the new download service of the Qt Project, and more are on their way. With the new MirrorBrain based setup is it very easy to become a mirror for Qt - and even more importantly it is seamless for the user to benefit from the nearby mirrors.

Plan is to use the new download.qt-project.org service starting from next week for the upcoming releases of Qt 5.0.2, Qt 5.1 Alpha and others. The old CDN service will be available as backup for a while – hopefully it is not needed. When a release is made you can see it appear to qt–project.org/download page, so everything stays quite similar as before. And goes without saying that otherwise the release process is quite similar as before – only thing we need is a bit more time than before for the content to sync globally.

If needed, it is easy to see if the file you are planning to download has already been mirrored by viewing the details in conjunction of each file. The mirrors synchronize content with different schedule, so it takes while for file to become available in all mirrors after it has been released. We are also looking into leveraging torrents as an additional way of downloading files.

I hope we continue to receive more mirrors for Qt Project in the coming weeks. If you are interested in mirroring Qt, see instructions how to become a mirror from the Qt Project wiki. Also, feel free to ask you local mirror providers to start mirroring Qt. The more mirrors, the merrier.

Yours,

--

Tuukka Turunen

Director, R&D

Digia, Qt

Address: Piippukatu 11, 40100 Jyväskylä, FINLAND

Email: tuukka.turunen at digia.com

Mobile: + 358 40 7655 800

Qt Website: http://qt.digia.com

Qt Blog: http://blog.qt.digia.com

Qt Project: http://www.qt-project.org

PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and any attachments are intended only for use by the named addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments accompanying it. Digia Plc does not accept liability for any corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses occurring to this message.