[Development] Network test server for Ubuntu 12.04 x64 available for Puppet - test version

Richard Moore rich at kde.org
Thu Apr 25 18:35:32 CEST 2013

On 25 April 2013 16:05, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 25 de abril de 2013 11.10.56, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Sébastien Fricker
> <fricker at froglogic.com>wrote:
>> >  Tony,
>> >
>> > why not also providing a VMWare image ready to use?
>> > Regards,
>>
>> Do you want the cake, or the recipe? This is a FOSS community, we want the
>> recipe :)
>
> I thought the rule was "I want the cake and eat it too"... :-)
>
> Anyway, a pre-built image is much bigger to download than a set of Puppet
> rules.

The more serious issue with a pre-built image is keeping it updated.
The puppet scripts will do that automatically. The test server isn't
(or at least should not be) static, as new features and tests can
require new services etc. be added. If a VM image was provided it
would become out of date, and needed to be redownloaded etc.

Regards

Rich.