[Development] Qt5 combined source package - Perl dependency

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at digia.com
Fri Apr 26 17:35:01 CEST 2013

On 26/04/2013 16:57, Friedemann Kleint wrote:

> I have to admit I do not really see the point of it as long as QtWebKit
> requires Ruby and Python. In my view, requiring a scripting language it
> is acceptable as long as a single, unified language is used. Most
> projects on Windows require scripting languages for test automation,
> packaging, etc.

I personally don't see where exactly the point of pain is... other than
"something I was used to changed". Downloading and installing Perl on
Windows is really straight-forward.

> For people building from git on Windows, the Perl problem will disappear
> in the moment the msysgit project decides to update the outdated Perl
> version it ships (currently 5.8 or so, which currently has problems with
> syncqt). This would make Perl an ideal candidate.

I doubt that waiting for a new Perl version in msysgit will solve that.
Last time I was interested in building Qt with msysgit's Perl, the
issues with syncqt where caused by differences in handling paths, esp.
drive roots. See commit 6375cbf99a54bf222bceb287fd110a7de6550159 in
qtbase for details.

BR,

Joerg