[Development] Qt5 combined source package - Perl dependency

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Apr 26 18:58:04 CEST 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 04:57:23PM +0200, Friedemann Kleint wrote:
>  >One of the most commented problems has been Perl dependency,
> >especially on Windows.
>
> I have to admit I do not really see the point of it as long as QtWebKit
> requires Ruby and Python. In my view, requiring a scripting language it
> is acceptable as long as a single, unified language is used.

I am afraid this is wrong on serveral accounts.

First: Not everybody uses Webkit, so any build dependency Webkit
has is irrelevant for those.

Second: You are arguing with "Broken Windows", Having three scripting
languages as build dependency as Webkit has, is plainly a bad idea.
There's no need to follow suit.

Third: Even if most large projects end up using one scripting languange or
the other for "helper tasks", it's not up to Qt to dictate which language
that is. Apart from that does typically not hold true for the "getting
started phase".

This is completely imbalanced.

Andre'