[Development] Setting a Minimum Support OpenSSL Version

Richard Moore rich at kde.org
Thu Aug 1 22:56:29 CEST 2013

On 1 August 2013 17:09, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Jake Thomas Petroules
> <jake.petroules at petroules.com> wrote:
>>
>> I assume that this excludes OS X, given that the very latest version still
>> only has 0.9.8y.
>>
>> Are there or have there ever been any plans to implement additional crypto
>> backends such
>> as CommonCrypto (OS X and iOS, the latter of which doesn't have OpenSSL at
>> all) and
>> CAPI/CNG on Windows? SSL in Qt would work out-of-the-box.
>

> Hmm, I had the same question 1-2 years ago, but I do not think anyone was
> working on it back then. It would be nice in my opinion.

In 5.0 I've made sure we split the QT_NO_SSL define from QT_NO_OPENSSL
which opens the door to this being possible in a source compatible
way. I've also done some prototypes that show we could implement a
gnutls backend. That said, I don't see it happening unless someone is
paid to do it - it's a lot of work.

Cheers

Rich.