[Development] Setting a Minimum Support OpenSSL Version

Richard Moore rich at kde.org
Thu Aug 1 23:00:34 CEST 2013

On 1 August 2013 17:01, Jake Thomas Petroules
<jake.petroules at petroules.com> wrote:
> I assume that this excludes OS X, given that the very latest version still
> only has 0.9.8y.

No, it applies to that too. It falls back into the same category as
windows - ship a recent openssl with your app. If other people want to
try to retain support for old versions like this, then I won't stand
in their way, but it cannot be a supported configuration unless
someone is willing to invest the time/money to do it. It also /should/
not be supported since this version is too old to support the kind of
features required these days.

> Are there or have there ever been any plans to implement additional crypto
> backends such
> as CommonCrypto (OS X and iOS, the latter of which doesn't have OpenSSL at
> all) and
> CAPI/CNG on Windows? SSL in Qt would work out-of-the-box.

I've answered this in another mail.

Cheers

Rich.