[Development] QtSC: Scene Graph discussion

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Aug 3 09:36:48 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Alan Alpert <416365416c at gmail.com> wrote:

> Scenegraph is inherently tight to QtQuick, but it is not your only
> option for hardware acceleration inside Qt. E'en in ye goode olde days
> I believed there was hardware acceleration somewhere in the pipeline,
> for example http://doc.qt.digia.com/qq/qq26-openglcanvas.html . If we
> wanted more hardware acceleration of widgets, as I don't know how good
> QGLWidget was, I'm pretty sure it would still be extending the "good
> old rendering engine" and not switching to Scenegraph. Remember the
> tale of the square peg and the round hole.

QGLWidget is just a widget, not a ui framework. We had managed to work
Harmattan nicely back then with it, but was it a nice software underneath?
Ask anyone relevant ... ;-)

More importantly, widgets have certain limitations, but I do not think that
can only be solved by QML. I treat QML just as a means for a goal, whereas
C++ could be another.