[Development] QtSC: Scene Graph discussion

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 23:12:23 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> Hmm, I have not mentioned "good old rendering engine". If I wanted to do
> that, probably this scene graph thread would be inadequate. ;-)
>
> To me, your post reads like if a hardware accelerated ui building technology
> like this was inherently tight to QtQuick and QML. If that is the case, and
> Qt has no plans for fixing that, I would not be surprised if opengl
> empowered ui c++ frameworks would gain more popularity again, such as fltk
> on embedded, for instance, even though it has certain limitations.

Scenegraph is inherently tight to QtQuick, but it is not your only
option for hardware acceleration inside Qt. E'en in ye goode olde days
I believed there was hardware acceleration somewhere in the pipeline,
for example http://doc.qt.digia.com/qq/qq26-openglcanvas.html . If we
wanted more hardware acceleration of widgets, as I don't know how good
QGLWidget was, I'm pretty sure it would still be extending the "good
old rendering engine" and not switching to Scenegraph. Remember the
tale of the square peg and the round hole.

--
Alan Alpert