[Development] ICU decision?

guillaume.belz at free.fr guillaume.belz at free.fr
Wed Aug 7 10:37:45 CEST 2013

Hello,
Since Qt 5, a criticism that I often see is the number of libs to deploy and its size. ICU is 26.4 Mb (windows mingw) while basic Qt libs are much less (core+gui+widgets+qml+quick = 19.6 Mb for example). On embedded, the extra cost will be even more critical (and criticable)
I think the third solution (with "fake" light ICU) is a solution for the size of the libs. A third-bis solution would be to have a fake-light-ICU included statically in Qt Core if necessary, to the problem of many libs.
Thank
Guillaume Belz