[Development] ICU decision?

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Wed Aug 7 15:12:37 CEST 2013

07.08.2013, 12:38, "guillaume.belz at free.fr" <guillaume.belz at free.fr>:
> Hello,
> Since Qt 5, a criticism that I often see is the number of libs to deploy and its size. ICU is 26.4 Mb (windows mingw) while basic Qt libs are much less (core+gui+widgets+qml+quick = 19.6 Mb for example). On embedded, the extra cost will be even more critical (and criticable)
> I think the third solution (with "fake" light ICU) is a solution for the size of the libs. A third-bis solution would be to have a fake-light-ICU included statically in Qt Core if necessary, to the problem of many libs.

Most of ICU size comes from its data which can be loaded from separate .dat file, which can be customized. I believe most of developers don't require all of ICU data (i.e. all kinds of data for all available locales), and shrinking useless data will reduce package size greatly. Also, with zero-size fake data ICU will be still functional, e.g. able to perform conversions between UTF flavors, SCSU and BOCU-1.

--
Regards,
Konstantin