[Development] failing network tests on CI

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Thu Aug 8 16:15:25 CEST 2013

On Thursday, August 08, 2013 11:13:51 Peter Hartmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since the network tests seem to be failing a lot, how about disabling
> the biggest offender (QSslSocket test) for now?

Hi,

Please fix the problem soon by doing whatever it takes to fix it quickly, not
"properly".

There has been months and months of time to fix the problem, during which time
the problem has not been fixed. I don't even know how long this has been a
problem, but it's at least 8 months.

Any time I've tried to fix the problem by disabling the tests, others have put
themselves in the way, with the result that we have CI, still, after all this
time, failing randomly. It's frustrating for me, and it should be embarrassing
for anyone involved in the attempts of getting past the problem.

I don't know if Richards script is the fastest solution to finally getting
this resolved, or if marking the tests insignificant is the fastest way, but I
don't see how a mailing list thread can help, instead of just 'taking
initiative', seeing the problem for the long-time problem that it is and
having the resolve to make it not a problem any more.

If Richards script is not the solution, then someone has to have the balls to
disable the tests, someone has to have the balls to approve the patch, and
everyone else has to stay out of the way.

I've tried to do the first two, but the 'everyone else get out of the way'
part is always the kicker. My patch just got passed around like a hot potato
that no one wanted to touch. Then when I abandonned it, Tony said he approved
of it in an email to me, instead of approving it on gerrit the week
previously...

Now I just want others to fix the problem and I'll stay out of the way :).

Just please fix it so it is fixed. Really. Let's not have this problem in a
week please.

Thanks,

--
Join us in October at Qt Developer Days 2013 - https://devdays.kdab.com