[Development] failing network tests on CI

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 8 17:24:33 CEST 2013

On quinta-feira, 8 de agosto de 2013 16:15:25, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Please fix the problem soon by doing whatever it takes to fix it quickly,
> not  "properly".
>
> There has been months and months of time to fix the problem, during which
> time  the problem has not been fixed. I don't even know how long this has
> been a problem, but it's at least 8 months.
>
> Any time I've tried to fix the problem by disabling the tests, others have
> put  themselves in the way

Probably because we disagree on what constitutes a "fix".

A "fix" implies correcting the error. The error lies with the test server and
the network setup. Therefore, a fix implies changing something there.

Disabling the tests is not a fix. It's a workaround, one with side-effects.
Since we will not stop making changes that affect networking code, disabling
network-related tests means we'll be flying blind for a while.

If we disable the tests, to be reasonably sure of not introducing regressions,
we should also stop all changes to QtNetwork, event loops (QtCore and QPA
plugins) and QObject kernel.