[Development] FW: Proposal for RFC like feature process

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Tue Aug 13 10:44:43 CEST 2013

I don't mind the platform (JIRA sounds right to me), but I also think we could do a better job at getting items on the roadmap, and bigger things like language changes, documented.

Right now I'm trying to find JIRA items for any the proposed language QML extensions, and it's a pain. We don't really use the 'Fix Version' field consistently (see recent discussion), we mix all kind of issue types (bug report, task, suggestion ...), some of the ideas aren't yet in JIRA at all, AFAIK (e.g. ideas for a generic assets://).

One idea to handle this would be to add yet another issue type, e.g. 'Feature', that

 - would be defined as a major change or addition that e.g. would typically show up on the road map, be in the list of changes ...
 - can only be created by approvers (to avoid having features that are actually bug reports, or features that are valid in theory, but in practice don't have a chance to be implemented any time soon)

In exchange we might consider killing some issue types that aren't used much (Epic, Research, Change Request ... ). Though I'm sure someone is using them ;) We could of course also re-use the 'suggestion' type, but that IMO would be a misnomer.

Kai