[Development] Proposal: Allow contributors to +1 sanity review.

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Wed Aug 14 15:54:19 CEST 2013

Onsdag 14. august 2013 13.29.58 skrev Oswald Buddenhagen:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:04:14PM +0200, André Pönitz wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:45:21AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > I have overridden the bot sometimes when it complained that I used
> > > British
> > > English in the commit message. I know I shouldn't do that.
> >
> > To be honest, that's pretty much the only case where I find myself
> > regularly disagreeing with the bots myself.
> >
> > It's certainly valuable to enforce "one style" when it comes to
> > APIs (would be "fun" to have, say "QColor" and "setColour" at the
> > same time...), but for "free text" as in commit messages that never
> > gets touched again I am tempted to value cultural diversity higher
> > than technical streamlining ;-}
>
> well, there is a marginally convincing argument for streamlining that as
> well: searchability (in particular with a primitive tool like 'less').
>
> it may also look a bit weird if you have setColor and colour in the same
> sentence. ;)
>
> i have no particularly strong opinion on that, and it wouldn't be
> terribly hard to exclude the commit messages from the check
> (contributions welcome ;), but i find the "cultural diversity" argument
> fairly stupid ... permitting british while true diversity in form of
> other languages is excluded (for obvious reasons) feels ... fake.

In addition it caught some embarrassing misspellings I had in commit messages.
Doesn't hurt to fix them if I'm doing another revision anyway.

I find the system to work quite well and also don't see a reason to change.
In the end it should be a conscious decision to go against the rules.

--
Best regards,
Frederik Gladhorn