[Development] [Feature Request] Websockets

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 19:10:26 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gna.org> wrote:

> On 16/08/13 03:41, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Kurt Pattyn <pattyn.kurt at gmail.com
> > <mailto:pattyn.kurt at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     I opensourced a Qt based module that implements the web socket
> >     protocol. The repository can be found here:
> >     https://github.com/KurtPattyn/QWebSockets.
> >     I have 2 questions:
> >     1. Is there any interest in adding this to Qt?
> >     2. If so, should this be added to QtNetwork or is a add-on preferred?
> >

> > Perhaps it would be best to have something like a qtprotocols addon. I'm
> > also interested in maybe getting qjsonrpc pushed upstream to the
> > qt-project, there has been some interest in the community and I think it
> > could benefit from more eyes on it. I'm also in the process of writing a
> > somewhat more streamlined STOMP client for qt that could live there as
> > well.
>
> Are you talking about https://bitbucket.org/devonit/qjsonrpc ?
> The nice thing if the 2 projects belongs to the same addon is that they
> can use each other, right? In that case, it would be possible to add a
> QJsonRpcWebsocketServer without adding external dependencies.

Yes I am.

Sure, they could use each other but I'm not sure how much you gain there. I
haven't really looked into the websocket standard, but I'm not sure it
shares many similarities with jsonrpc, please correct me if I'm wrong. I
was simply suggesting that there seem to be a number of protocol
implementations for Qt and they might be best served grouped in a new addon
module (qjsonrpc, qwebsockets, qstompclient, qxmpp, etc).

Matt