[Development] [Feature Request] Websockets

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 19:08:11 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 4:17 AM, Kurt Pattyn <pattyn.kurt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well,
>
> it is a fact that Qt has little to no native support for 'cloud' based
> client and server 'protocols', like REST, WebSockets, SOAP, aso. So, it
> would indeed be a nice addition to have support for the most popular
> 'protocols'.
> Should we have something like a QNetworkAccessManager with pluggable
> protocols, or do we create a protocols module with just independent classes?
> I prefer the latter but the classes should at least have some consistent
> API.

Frankly, I'm of a mind that we just take the existing projects and put them
in the module at least for starters. Sure, it would probably be pretty cool
to have some sort of unified system, but we're not going to make that
anytime soon. Furthermore, at least in qjsonrpc/qxmpp/kdsoap's case, these
are pretty mature projects, and I would hate to see a lot of wheel
re-inventing just for the sake the "grand unified vision."

I'm also a bit of a mind that the "grand unified protocol" idea might be a
bit of a red herring: what parts of these systems do we in fact need to
share? QIODevice, Q[Udp/Tcp][Server/Socket], maybe some data streams,
json/xml parsers, these are all provided by Qt. My goal with suggesting
that we put these into a module together is twofold: first, centralize the
development of these solutions and hopefully attract developers to work on
these instead of rolling their own (case in point, Christian's first email
cites that he's interested in a "JSON based protocol that could go through
a QIODevice," well hey isn't that qjsonrpc?). Secondly, to provide the
opportunity for a more rigorous peer review of the code from this great
development community.

Matt