[Development] Dropping XP?

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 12:33:19 CET 2013

Hello,

> I don't know about the codebase, but given the feedback for Qt Creator there are still a lot of people using XP even as a development platform ...
> so I'd expect quite some backslash if we completely drop support for Windows XP, at least for 'traditional' QWidget based apps.

I'm afraid so. To provide some example numbers for our cross platform
app targeted at students and researchers, based on the first half of
September:

- The Win/Mac/Linux split is 71%, 22%, 7% (the high Mac and Linux
usage here is a reflection of the domain we target)
- OS X 10.5 is used by 2.5% of Mac users, OS X 10.6 by 20% of Mac users
- Windows XP is used by 11% of Windows users

Dropping XP support entirely would be painful, but if new
functionality did not support XP that is more tolerable.

> OTOH people won't move unless the industry gives them reason to do so by dropping support :-)

Microsoft Office and web browsers like Firefox and Chrome are best
placed to nudge the existing userbase I think. Unfortunately
for developers, Chrome's XP support is now extended until April 2015.

Regards,
Rob.