[Development] Dropping XP?

Knight Andrew Andrew.Knight at digia.com
Tue Dec 10 13:30:23 CET 2013

From: development-bounces+andrew.knight=digia.com at qt-project.org [development-bounces+andrew.knight=digia.com at qt-project.org] on behalf of John Layt [jlayt at kde.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:25 AM
To: development at qt-project.org
Subject: Re: [Development] Dropping XP?

> If 5.3 is a stabilization release and on a shorter release cycle, and
> comes out about the XP EoL date, then perhaps it would be a good final
> release to offer XP users, with 5.4 giving us more time to replace XP
> code and make sure there's no regressions?  Or would the WinRT port
> benefit from us doing it sooner?

I don't think there's much benefit to rushing into this. In the cases where WinRT's native API is wildly different than Win32, we can use a new CPP file. Apart from a cleaner codebase, I don't see much benefit in ripping out code before Qt 6 - leaving it there allows the community to continue trying to support Windows XP.

-Andrew