[Development] Enabling SSE2 by default on x86 builds (32-bit)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Dec 11 01:37:20 CET 2013

On quarta-feira, 11 de dezembro de 2013 01:01:30, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 December 2013, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > [*] note that it's technically SSE support; SSE2 added the integer
> > operations to SSE, which isn't what QtQuick needs.
>
> SSE2 also added support for double, SSE(1) only had 32bit float support.
> Which is why it is only with SSE2 that you can fully replace x87 with SSE
> in C/C++.

Right, I had never noticed that. I'm mixing with AVX2.

MOVAPS, MOVUPS, MULPS, MULSS were added with SSE.

MOVAPD, MOVUPD, MULPD, MULSD were added in SSE2.

Fortunately, both sets were extended to 256-bit in AVX. Only the 256-bit
integer instructions are left for AVX2.

AVX512F extends both sets to 512-bit.