[Development] Qt Hebrew

Diego Iastrubni diegoiast at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:19:39 CET 2013

(I wonder why/how I missed this thread)

Hi Genghis!

See comments inline

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Genghis Khan <genghiskhan at gmx.ca> wrote:

> I would like to initiate a new group <http://qt-project.org/groups>
> called "Qt Hebrew" for Hebrew speakers, where new and potential Hebrew
> speaking contributors to Qt and to Qt software will be able to join and
> to share their point of views on translations and report issues
> concerning to RTL (Right to left) alignment in software.

Are you looking for a group of developers that work on Qt to create new
software, or developers that will work on Qt itself?

Did you know that we already have a mailing list available, in Hamakor?

Did you know that we have monthly meetups, on which developers talk about
Qt. One is even today, and I speak about l10n (see
http://whatsup.co.il/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=7072)

Most of the local community is reading this ML as well (Ynon Perek who
organized those meetings, Sivan Greenberg even shows his face once or
twice, Orgad Shaneh is even giving me a ride there today - all of them read
this ML).

> Due to a severe and deliberate depression of access for new Hebrew
> speaking contributors to Free Software projects, by certain entities
> and personalities, I find the need of such group very important.

Note that Qt3 had a very good support for Arabic/Hebrew/Farse (RTL in
general). I still remember sitting with Lars back in  2003 in (crap forgot
where in Germany that aKademy was...). Things were very good in Qt4 days,
and now with the move to QtQuick things got bad again. We need to code,
test and fix Qt5.

A new site for the community? I don't think its needed. I tried adding a
Hebrew forum to kde-forums a few years ago, and we closed it since it had
low traffic. The mailing list on Hamakor is *very* low traffic and it seems
it will not get higher traffic. Developers will not communicate in Hebrew,
they will keep communication in English.

The bottom line is: you have a bug? report it with a clean test case so the
developers will . You can fix it? Do it. I think that a Qt community is a
great idea, its very important that qt-community.org will list the local
community.

Lets continue this conversation off-list, better at the ocal ML.