[Development] Reviews needed before android integration in two weeks

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at digia.com
Tue Feb 5 13:35:49 CET 2013

On Tuesday, February 05, 2013 01:10:21 PM Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt wrote:
> On 02/05/2013 12:49 PM, Friedemann Kleint wrote:
> > - Nokia is also mentioned along with names of former employees in the
> > json style parser under widgets/styles.  Btw, I am generally wondering
> > about it, it seems to add a new Json parser. Could it be replaced by
> > the Json classes of QtCore?
>
> We have a task about that. I think it either needs to be replaced by
> Qt's json classes or put into 3rdparty.
>
> > -  Compilation of the branch under Windows fails with the attached
> > log. Something is probably wrong with #ifdefing/profiles?
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > Let's put it this way: linux-g++* is just as fuzzy as android-g++* in what
> > it means. But we're not in the business of creating mathematical
> > formulas, we're in the business of making life easier for software
> > developers. If we can make it easier for people to port their app to
> > Android, why don't we do it?
> I don't have any very strong opinion either way, so whatever the
> majority decides is fine by me, but since there's a disagreement: Could
> you please elaborate on what makes linux-android-g++ (or
> linux-g++-android for symmetry with maemo) simpler for the developer
> compared to android-g++?

Simply put: Consistency. We do have linux-g++-maemo, linux-g++, linux-arm-
gnueabi-g++

They're all flavours of Linux, following the os-compiler/variant pattern.
There's no guarantee about what system libraries are in there. In that sense I
feel Android is a variant of Linux. In the kernel sense Android is a super-set
of the traditional Linux kernel mostly, isn't it? And it's moving closer to
mainline step by step.

Now after a closer inspection I do have to retract my argument with regards to
the use of linux* in WebKit. Just disregard it ;)

Consistency is the only argument that I can think of. It's not a strong one,
so I won't go on and on about it. But please consider it :)

> Technically I don't think Android is considered a Linux-distribution.
> Wouldn't this be similar to renaming the OSX mkspec to "macx-g++-darwin"?

Given the lack of alternate Darwin based operating systems that we support
with Qt, I'm not sure it is that similar.

Simon