[Development] Reviews needed before android integration in two weeks

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at kdab.com
Wed Feb 6 09:00:41 CET 2013

Hi,

On Tuesday 05 February 2013 14:22:47 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2013 11:33:29 Paul Olav Tvete wrote:
> > One of the major features for Qt 5.1 is Android support. We have been
> > doing  the work in a feature branch, and are now getting ready to
> > integrate to the dev branch. To beat the rush of integrations before
> > feature freeze, we aim to start the integration in two weeks time.
> >
> > Most of the changes are android-specific, but there are a few changes
> > touching  cross-platform code. To make the integration go smootly, we ask
> > approvers and maintainers to check the android changes in their areas
> > now, so we can fix any problems before the merge. To see the changes,
> > check out (or diff against) the "wip/android" branch.
> >
> > I have appended a list of changed files for the following repositories:
> > qtsensors
>
> Another thing: [...]

And another one: Please add the Android platform to the compatibility table in
the docs, which shows what sensors are available for each platform. It is the
file src/sensors/doc/src/compatmap.qdoc. Also, if there are any Android-
specific gotchas, they should go to the "Platform-specific Information"
section in qtsensors.doc.

As I side note, I find this reviewing-by-email quite inconvenient. It doesn't
give anyone the chance to -1 properly, and comments per email are less than
convenient. All this increases the risk of changes getting merged without a
proper review, and consequently is bad for the quality of Qt at large. I
expect we'll have the same kind of issues when we merge other branches like
the winrt one.

A github-style review of the complete branch before merging would really be
nice and solve all these issues. I guess this is not yet supported by Gerrit?
A workaround would be to squash all commits of the branch together into a
single patch and then upload that to Gerrit for review. Now, actually pushing
the single patch would lose history, so we'd instead manually do a proper
merge of the branch. How about we do that for the Android merge?

Regards,
Thomas
--
Thomas McGuire | thomas.mcguire at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090