[Development] Qt 5.1 feature set and freeze date (Qt3D)

Mülner, Helmut helmut.muelner at joanneum.at
Wed Feb 13 10:23:07 CET 2013

Hi Sean,

> On Wednesday 13 February 2013 10:06:41 Mülner, Helmut wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > No, unfortunately not.
> > >
> > > We've gone through it, and it will require some more work to make it
> > > suitable for inclusion. Sean can give details on it. But you can
> > > continue to use the module as is (knowing the APIs will still change
> slightly).
> >
> > Unfortunately I cannot use it on Windows OSes because Qt3D currently
> > does not support ANGLE.
>
> Well not with the pre-compiled Qt5 binaries as they do indeed use ANGLE,
> which as we have seen causes issues for many people who want to use Qt5
> to develop desktop OpenGL based applications with Qt 5 on Windows.
>
> Hopefully the Qt 5.0.2 release binaries will include a build linked against
> Desktop OpenGL too. Intel have made great progress with their OpenGL
> drivers lately and are now even supporting a large part of OpenGL 4 on
> windows with the Intel 4000 series chips.

But it would be very important to have (a perhaps restricted version of) Qt3D with ANGLE support, because there are a lot of PCs out there with buggy (Intel) OpenGL drivers that will not receive updated drivers. As far as I could see, it would not be very hard to support ANGLE, would it?

Best regards,
Helmut