[Development] Qt modules missing mandatory LICENSE files

Zoltán Balogh zoltan.balogh at canonical.com
Fri Feb 15 12:23:40 CET 2013

On 02/15/2013 12:43 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> On Friday, February 15, 2013 12:28:32 Timo Jyrinki wrote:
>> At least qtpim, qtsystems, qtconnectivity, qtfeedback
>> and qtwayland will follow later, and I'll be filing change proposals
>> for them at that time as part of the process.
> I don't know why you're packaging those.
>
> You understand that they are not 'part of Qt 5', right?
>
> And you understand that they are not stable in any way and their API will
> likely change, and they will not be part of Qt 5.1, and they may never be part
> of a Qt release?

Few days ago there was a question about the qt3d what is not released in
Qt 5.0.0 and not planned for the 5.1 either. Lars wrote then that the
module will require more work to make it suitable for an official
release. I take the same for all modules not released with Qt 5.0.0

The same way the qtsensors, qtlocations (even mentioned in the marketing
video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIs5YqzS4Bc) are left out and still
they can be used for experimenting, demonstrating the strengths of Qt5

So I see a definite value in packaging all available Qt modules and
distribute them.

Yes, API changes and missing/broken features are are expected, but that
is normal with unstable or experimental libraries.

Packaging in Ubuntu all the available Qt  modules means distributing the
Qt to a wider audience. I guess it can be considered as a good thing :)
and never know somebody might get excited and interested to contribute
and push forward the modules left out from the release.

Zoltan